ODST delegates considerable autonomy to its school governing bodies and we regard ourselves as a ‘bottom up’ rather than a ‘top down’ organisation. We aim to develop strong, accountable governing bodies made up of highly skilled, well-informed, well-trained governors who ensure statutory duties are met, set a standard of excellence and are focussed on improving teaching and learning.
Each of our academies’ governance arrangements are undertaken by a single board of governors, the Local Governing Body (LGB). LGBs have extensive powers of delegation, as ODST is committed to empowerment at a local level.
ODST develops and supports effective, knowledgeable and well-trained governors through:
- a central Governor Services Officer and support for chairs and clerks
- high-quality governor training & support
- bespoke whole governing body training
- termly events for chairs.
Our Governor Services Officer will facilitate support for Governors and school governance in a number of ways:
- Support for the appointment process for all governors to ODST academies
- Telephone and email access to advice
- Briefings on statutory changes relevant to trustees and governance
- Places for governors on ODBE organised governor training sessions at a discounted rate
- Support for governors’ independent review panel, disciplinary, capability or grievance hearings
- Briefings for chairs of local governing bodies in ODST and other academies
- Options to attend governing body training events through ODST packages
- Bespoke governing body training created to meet individual school and governing body needs by request.
- Governor representation at Trustee level
- Briefings on specific national and local issues
- Briefings/support/mentoring for Clerks to Governors
- Statutory and other checks and reports
- Support materials for Chairs and other induction.
Want to find out more about our support for governors and governing bodies?
Contact: Julian Hehir, Governor Support Officer